- This event has passed.
First Friday Open House
May 3 @ 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
It is that time of the month when we proactively invite people of all faiths to join and experience our faith, prayer and sermon starting with the beautiful call to prayer. Welcoming friends, allies, and people of all faiths or no faith with a sincere intention to learn more about our faith and connect with individuals from the most diverse community in South Puget Sound. In light of the holy month of Ramadan starting next week this time we will explain what Ramadan is all about.
This Friday we are expecting a Tajik delegation who will join us with Friendship Force of Greater Olympia and we will inform them of variety of programs that we have at the Islamic Center of Olympia..
Please bring your non-Muslim friends and colleagues and anyone with a sincere desire to get to know a Muslim, our faith and values are welcome to attend, hear the weekly sermon, observe or join in prayer, enjoy ethnic snacks, and engage in circle time Q&A with our affable and knowledgeable Imam (faith leader). Come experience the diaspora of the most diverse faith community in the Puget South Sound! Attached also is this information in PDF flyer form for you to print out or share as appropriate.
TYPICAL MONTHLY 1st FRIDAY OPEN HOUSE PROGRAM:
- 1:00 PM sharp meet at the main building and up the short flight of stairs to the foyer of the main prayer area. Please wait for a briefing at the top of the steps before entering the prayer area.
- 1:10 PM enter the community center to hear the call to prayer at 12:15 sharp.
- 1:15-1:45 sermon (English and Arabic)
- 1:45-2:00 observe the prayer (or join if you’re familiar)
- 2:00-2:15 mix and mingle with community members
- 2:15-3:00 presentation, Q&A circle time, and snacks in the community hall (basement)—every 1st Friday of each month.
The address is:
PLEASE NOTE (Etiquette):
- Whilst we do not impose a dress code on our visitors, cleanliness and modesty is appreciated and respected.
- Men and women pray in separate sanctuaries but on the first Friday of each month we will recongregate for circle time in the community hall (basement) after the service.
- We remove footwear on entering the mosque and we do not traditionally have chairs—we sit on the carpet.
- If you or in your group have special needs please let us know in advance and we will try and accommodate to the extent possible.
- If they are familiar with the practice, visitors may join us in prayer. If not, they may still observe the prayer but will need to stay towards the back of the mosque as we pray in rows shoulder to shoulder, feet to feet, without any gaps. A head-covering is highly recommended for women joining in prayer.